Independence Day

Posted by Goddess of Nonsense on ,
Patriotic songs.
The hoisting of the tri-colour flag.
Feelings of joy, pride and oneness.
In the midst of all this I find myself pretty lost.

Call me unpatriotic, Independence day is something I really cannot relate to.
I think it has something to with being born post-Independence.
I don't really know the true meaning of being ruled by ruthless foreigners, while watching them take over the land of your ancestors.
And then finally watching them return it to you along with the priceless gift of freedom, while they surrender, defeated.

But the truth is I don't think that I have really experienced Freedom.
Everytime I use Public transport, I wonder if I'll reach home safely?
Everytime I step I out of the house I wonder if I am dressed inappropriately. No matter Whatever I wear the perverts will not stop leching or passing explicit comments at my expense.
And when it comes to protection, I really wonder if it's safe enough to approach any of the cops. Remember the girl who got raped by a policeman in Marine Drive?
Everytime I step into mall, I know I'm taking a risk. In this city anything can happen anytime.
What about when the elections are coming? You never know when a politician decides to start a communal riot.

May be we are Independent from foreign rule. But are we independent and free in the true sense?






2 comments:

malpani.!! said...
August 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM

lol.. this one is so similar to my latest post..
i mean its identical..

chek it out..
cos i absolutely second ur thoughts..!!
but then are we being too cynical? or ignorant?

el_idioto said...
August 16, 2009 at 9:26 PM

life's a risk.. risk it...